Monday, July 12, 2010

My Family

Family
Sept 16, 1996 is the day I heard the words, “ you have cancer, multiple myeloma,” from Dr. Daugherty. At this time, I was taking my husband to the cancer clinic once a week for chemotherapy treatments. He had CLL and colon cancer. Eighteen years earlier, I had watched as my mother fought a battle with bone cancer. Her strong belief in God and her spiritual strength gave me the strength to accept what I have no control over, and to accept God’s plan for my life. Each day I live is a special gift from God and I hope I use it wisely and make everyday count. In 2004, I was diagnosed with another type of cancer, CLL. My faith in God has helped me to place the decision of my future in his hands. I have been blessed for 12 years and I hope to have many more. Proverbs 17:22 – A cheerful heart is good medicine.

During this period of time I have also had two sisters die with cancer. One had brain cancer and the other with a rare type of lymphoma. My youngest sister was an inspiration to all who knew her. At her worst times when she was weak and very sick, she made you feel good about yourself. She would take the church’s songbook to her chemo treatments and get all the patients to sing with her while they were taking their treatments. They all seemed to enjoy it. She was well loved and you could see her “goodness” shining through. My husband was also inspirational to me and I remember that during his illness, his favorite scriptures were Philippians’ 4:11-13 and he read them often.

As I sit here today, I am trying to learn to leave the past behind and be satisfied with today. I get up each day and thank God that He granted me another day. God said, “don’t worry about tomorrow, it will worry about itself” – Matthew 6:34. He supplies our needs, one day at a time.
My advice to someone that is newly diagnosed is to talk to your family, and be open and honest with them. I have a tendency to protect my girls by not telling them the facts about my illness. I think what they don’t know will keep them from worrying. But, I’m learning to laugh and cry with them because we need each other and it helps to have someone with whom we can share our hopes and fears.

Most of my family are members at Woodlawn Church of Christ. Knowing I have a christian family and church family is a blessing to me. Throughout my cancer challenges, I have the comfort of the words Christ left for us… “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee” Hebrews 1:35. I hope these words will be of comfort for someone. Just put your prayers and faith in God. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment