Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Peanut Butter Sandwich I'll Never Forget

Recently, my 9 year old and I went to a water park for the day. Have to admit, although it was a scorching hot day, headed to a water park I had already visited countless times was not high on my list. However, I agreed to go thinking I would just "gut" through it. Boy, was I wrong. My little 9 year old said things that I will never forget. The first thing he said came after we had been in the park for a couple hours. We were waiting in a particularly long line, he looked up and asked me if I was having fun. I looked at his face and said ABSOLUTELY, and he just beamed. Knowing that he was concerned about what kind of day I was having was touching.

Then, being the frugal dad that I am, I had packed some peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. We had our hands stamped for re-entry, and headed to our vehicle to get the cooler of sandwiches and chips. As we sat down eating our peanut butter sandwiches, it was quiet when all of a sudden, he looked up at me and said, "Dad, I like having lunch with you." That small statement of his made this almost 40 dad full of pride. I thought... wow, how awesome is that. I will never forget that day and that great lunch I had with my son. A day I was dreading turned into one of the BEST DAYS I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment